Apply for Funding
Missoula is a vibrant and healthy community because of the network of nonprofits that take care of our people, animals, and environment. To keep nonprofits strong, we offer a variety of funding opportunities.
We offer capacity-building grants to support the cost of hiring local consultants to facilitate discussions related to strategic planning, financial sustainability planning, governance, and other systems support.
Using a two-step approach, MPNE’s grant program will provide guidance and support for an organization’s board of directors and staff to:
1. Assessment Award: Participate in a comprehensive organizational assessment to determine the nonprofit’s strengths, weaknesses, and priorities for improvement. The process is facilitated by an experienced local nonprofit consultant who provides a written report of findings and recommendations.
2. Project Award: Retain a consultant to assist the organization to undertake and complete a capacity building project that addresses a priority need identified through the assessment process.
Missoula Project for Nonprofit Excellence 2018-2019 Timeline
Tuesday, October 9th, 4pm: Nonprofit and consultant informational webinar. Participation in webinar or in-person session is mandatory for nonprofits to apply. Click here to RSVP for the webinar>>
Wednesday, October 10th, 12pm: Nonprofit and consultant information session at the Missoula Public Library. Click here to RSVP for the in-person session>>
Monday, October 22nd: Readiness assessment survey due by midnight.
Thursday, November 15: Assessment Award applications due by midnight.
Week of December 17: Assessment Award grantees notified.
Week of January 28th: Awardee & Consultant Orientation and signing of grant agreement.
February 1st-May 1st: Assessments conducted.
June 28th: Final report due to grantee.
July 8-August 31: Project Grant Award application period.
Mid September: Project Grants awarded.
October 2019-March 2020: Project grants underway.
- Attend the mandatory informational session or webinar in early-mid October. See details above. Click here to RSVP for either session>>
- Click here to complete the Capacity-building Assessment Self Survey (CASS) by Monday, October 22nd at midnight.
- Grants Coordinator will evaluate completed surveys and will evaluate nonprofits’ readiness to participate in the program. Email and phone follow-up may be required before inviting an organization to apply.
- Assessment award applications are due on Thursday, November 15th by midnight.
- Grants coordinator will conduct interviews with applicants between November 20th-December 8th.
- Applicants will be notified during the week of December 17th.
We offer a handful of small grants from $500 to $2,500 to help nonprofits with operational support and with discrete projects, like capital campaigns; and also for community beautification initiatives.
Deadline: Applications for 2019 grants will be announced in January 2019.
The Women’s Giving Circle is administered by MissoulaCF in partnership with the Montana Women’s Foundation but run by its members. In 2019, it will grant up to $10,000 to a qualifying nonprofit.
Please contact Nikki Robb at the Missoula Community Foundation with any questions at (406) 926-2846.
Missoula Gives is a community-wide fundraiser that promotes philanthropy among all Missoulians. Participating nonprofits receive fundraising and marketing tools and training, have the chance to win prize money from sponsors, and raise awareness and dollars among new donors.
Event Date: May 2-3, 2019
Deadline for nonprofits to register: TBA